Sunday, October 10, 2010

BLACK WALNUT FRIEND OR FOE

The Black Walnut tree is a wonderful shade tree.


It's wood has long been desired for fine furniture.


The squirrels love it.


In late Summer it produces its fruit.



In Fall
ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!





Nasty, nasty, nasty.
All Fall I'm picking up, dodging, or cursing theses darn hulls.
They trip you, stain your hands, and prevent your garden from being its best.




The Black Walnut produces a substance called juglone. Many plants such as
tomato, potato, blackberry, blueberry, azalea, mountain laurel, rhododendron,
red pine, apple and many, many more can be injured or killed if planted
within the root system of these trees.



Avoid like the plague!!!

First four pictures from Google Image, the rest are mine.
Happy Gardening.

2 comments:

  1. I like your photos a lot! I like the profile you have that gardening is your passion. You know how to shoot a camera girl! I love that chunky squirrel. He will be well fed for the winter! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh! I never knew those things about the black walnut trees. I can remember, as a young child and later young woman. the laborious job of getting nutmeats from the fruit. It was very delicious for making cakes and breads. I guess someone in the family knew the rules about the planting. This was very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
    Hop over and visit my new post. Hugs, Ginger

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails